By law, you have the right to select where your motor vehicle is repaired and the parts used for repairs. However, an insurance company is not required to pay more than a reasonable amount for such repairs and parts. your rights concerning motor vehicle repairs are explained in the insurance code, article 5.07-1, a copy of which will be mailed to you within 15 business days on request.
Section 5.501 was adopted to become effective August 17, 1998
Know your rights... Know these facts:
- By law, you may have your car towed to and repaired at any repair facility you choose.
- Only one estimate is required to determine the amount of damage.
- Check with your agent to determine if a rental car is available under your policy.
- Make sure that the insurance company pays for all covered repairs.
- Choose a repair shop carefully. Your future safety depends on quality workmanship today.
- Choose a body shop carefully. Ask as many questions you have, until you are comfortable with the body shop.
Call your insurance company and tell them where you would like to have your vehicle repaired.
TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF INSURANCE
P.O. BOX 149091
AUSTIN, TX 78714-9091
Fax Number: 512-475-1771
Web Address: www.tdi.state.tx.us